Soaking in Silence with Spiritual Direction (November)
Discover the peace and serenity that come when you are relieved of the sound of your own voice and from the responsibility of listening and responding to others. In silence, you experience the joy of just being who you are in the moment, free to hear the music of nature and the beating of your own heart. You become more attuned to the world around you, and you reconnect with the Divine presence. In silence, you are better able to hear the still, small voice of God offering you wisdom, guidance, and clarity for your journey.
During “Soaking in Silence”, participants yield their voices and their electronic devices for 48 hours as they share companionable silence together as a community. (Speaking to staff is always allowed if you need assistance or have an emergency.)
Each participant is allotted one session with our spiritual director.
The retreat begins on Thursday with check-in at the Sisters House between 10:30am – 11:30am. During lunch, we introduce ourselves and set our intention for sharing two days of silence in community. While you soak in the sweetness of silence, you are free to spend the time any way you like. You may wander along the nature trail and prayer path, walk the labyrinth, journal, read for pleasure, whatever makes you happy. On Sunday morning, we gather to reclaim our voices, and share our impressions of what soaking in silence meant to each of us. The retreat ends at 11:00 am Saturday.
The retreat includes:
- Two nights’ accommodations at the Sisters House in a private room with screened-in porch and private bath.
- Private in-room coffee service, with access to a shared kitchen/refrigerator. You are welcome to bring beverages or supplemental food items.
- All meals are served in the Sisters House beginning with lunch the day of arrival through breakfast on the day of departure. Snacks, tea, and coffee provided.
- A one-hour private session of spiritual direction with Jane Motsinger.
- Foot soak with essential oils.
- A copy of Well’s Prayer Path Meditation Booklet, and other relevant materials, to enhance the experience of Soaking in Silence.
This retreat is limited to three participants.
Come experience the silence in this special home where the Sisters lived and prayed.
Meet the Presenter
Jane Motsinger is a Spiritual Director at Well of Mercy and is a graduate of the Hesychia School of Spiritual Direction. Jane has been a licensed lay preacher at Galloway Memorial Episcopal Church in Elkin, NC for the past 7 years. She is an avid bird watcher, a lover of and advocate for God’s creation, and enjoys leading retreats at Well of Mercy.
Want to Extend Your Stay?
Contact our office at 704-539-5449 to inquire about overnight reservation openings in conjunction with this event.
Office hours: Wednesday – Saturday
If this event is sold out, you can be added to the Waitlist by emailing our office with your name and retreat title to Mercy@wellofmercy.org.
Well of Mercy is a ministry of hospitality and healing sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas.
Begins: November 16, 2023 @10:30AM
Ends: November 18, 2023 @ 11AM